DLE test work shows excellent lithium recoveries Highlights:
- Lithium concentrate has been successfully produced from UpperRhine Valley geothermal brine during a series of successful benchscale Direct Lithium Extraction (DLE) tests commissioned by Vulcan.
- Two different, pre-selected DLE adsorbents were tested and in bothcases the lithium recovery rate exceeded 90% on first pass.
- The tested DLE adsorbents are of a type already used commercially on lithium brines worldwide, which reduces development risk, in line with Vulcan’s strategy of utilising established technologies.
- The demonstrated DLE process will result in much reduced water usage and environmental footprint compared to traditional, evaporative methods used by producers in South America.
- Use of renewable power and heat from geothermal brine would make Vulcan the lowest CO2-eq. footprint supplier of lithium hydroxide for electric vehicles in the world1.
- Results will inform Vulcan’s Pre-Feasibility Study (PFS) towards achieving the world’s first Zero Carbon Lithium™ Project.
- Additional test work, including optimisation of controllingparameters such as pressure and brine chemistry, is on-going